Summer is the perfect time to take a road trip with friends. It is vacation season and the weather is perfect for you to drive your convertible with the wind blowing in your hair. Whether you have a destination in mind or you prefer to just drive, make sure you have packed your essentials such as sunglasses, sunblock, swim suits, and have your driving playlist ready. Before you get on the road, make sure to do a safety check of your vehicle.
- Check that all exterior lights of the car work properly: head lights, tail lights, brake lights, signal lights, and high beams.
- Make sure your horn is working, and loud for others to hear.
- All passengers need to be wearing a seatbelt. Make sure those function properly.
- Hopefully it will not rain, but in case it does, you will want your windshield wipers working.
- Take a look at your tires. Do they need air? Are the treads good to withstand your road trip? Take a spare tire with you as well.
- Open up the hood of your car and fill up the fluids.
- Get your brakes checked and make sure they are good to go.
By making sure your car is road trip-ready, you are taking extra precautions to avoid accidents. In addition, you could also be saving yourself from being pulled over and ticketed. A few extra minutes to look over your car can save you thousands of dollars, if you really think about it.
If you think you will be driving across state borders, keep in mind that driving rules might not be the same. For example, you might not be allowed to make a right on a red light or you might not be allowed to pump your own gas at a gas station and instead, a store clerk is supposed to do this for you.